Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Overcoming.

I hear it all the time. My friend Kimberly actually said it today..."you don't want to live your life regretting not following your dreams." My dance coach always says that it is never too late to chase down the things that make you happy.

Ain't that the truth...

There are remarkable stories left and right about athletes who have given up everything to chase the dream of making it to the bigs, or perhaps even more inspiring, those who have lost everything and want to work back to it.

That brings me to a bigger point, what are we willing to risk, to give up, just to chase down a dream? For many, they sacrifice everything. Those who know me well can attest that I am hard headed and stubborn, and when it comes to pursuing something I'm passionate about...well you can't hold me back. Obnoxious?? Maybe, but I like to think it's one of my more redeeming qualities. At any rate, I feel inspired today to achieve my goals and to chase down my dreams til I can hold them in my hands.

I was just reading an update on Eric LeGrand's condition (which spurred all this, by the way). If you don't know, LeGrand was a stud defensive tackle for the Rutgers football team when tragedy struck. He went in for a major play last year against Army and was paralyzed from the shoulders down. Doctors initially told him that he'd never move again and would potentially be on a ventilator for the remainder of his life. Not only is he off a ventilator, he's slowly (but surely) regaining strength and beginning to have slow movement in his arms again. Pretty incredible. He said he'd walk again, and I'll be damned if he doesn't achieve it. Guys like Eric LeGrand inspire me to be better as a person, and continue to teach the age-old lesson of "never give up, always persevere."

What about Mike James? He may not be a household name, but the kid is a strong RB from the University of Miami. Last year, just a few days before Christmas, he lost his mother in a fatal car accident. Not only was this right before the holiday, but it was also mere days before UM was slated to play in the Sun Bowl. Adding onto an already emotional and tragic situation, the funeral was then planned for the day of the bowl game. Mike decided that he would play, in honor of his mother. I can't imagine what a difficult and emotional decision that had to have been. It's beautiful to me, though. His mother was his biggest fan. She was at every single UM game, cheering her little boy on as he ran into the end zone. She was his inspiration, and for that I think it was a beautifully touching thing that he played in that game. Despite a loss, he did what she would have wanted him to do. Pursue and chase his dream. Maybe it hits close to home for me, and maybe it holds extra weight because of the loss I've experienced with my own mother, but I remember hearing about James' story last year, and my heart breaking for him, and understanding every gut wrenching decision he made. That, my friends, is inspirational.

There are stories of tragedy to triumph and overcoming to achieve dreams everywhere you look -- Joannie Rochette competing in the 2010 Winter Olympics two days after her mom suddenly passed away to win a bronze, The Los Angeles Angels baseball team truly became one and went on to win the AL West in 2009 after their fallen teammate, Nick Adenhart, was killed in drunk driving accident; and of course, most famously, Michael Oher's rise from poverty to NFL star, by way of a loving adoptive family.

Regardless of the story, the bottom line stays the same: overcome and you shall succeed. I keep this in the back of my head, that even on the worst days, I can do this. Even if only one person finds value in my writing or sees my passion, then it's worth the exhaustive effort. Chasing dreams is something a lot of people are scared of...me included! If we can all take a cue from these athletes who have incredibly inspirational stories, then maybe we can all find our own level of success, no matter how big or small it may be.

Until next time...
S.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! You are such an inspiration Sara! Thanks for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susanne! So glad you're reading (and commenting!)

    cheers,
    s

    ReplyDelete