Monday, July 25, 2011

New Horizons, Finding a Mentor, and an Interview with Charles Davis

I hate to deviate from my normal format - write about sports stories, be opinionated, make you laugh, make a point, and call it a day....but I feel compelled to share my story from this past weekend. Have you ever felt like you were on the precipice of something truly amazing? I think I had a major breakthrough. For those people who know me well, they know that I've been in a lull. I hit a major plateau (as Charles would say - but we'll get there in due time). I couldn't pick myself up. I was frustrated, unable to truly chase the bigger dream. If you've been reading my blog (here, or from another site I write for, or you are my friend/family member forced into reading), then you know all I really want in life is to be a sports reporter and broadcaster. I want nothing more than to write, report, produce, and most of all, impact. Let's go back two and a half years.

I was working in retail while between jobs. I had just left CNN and had no idea what was next for me, other than total terror in the direction my life had taken. I was unsure of myself, who I was, and how to figure out what I needed to do to go where I wanted. I took a job in retail to pay the bills when Laura Okmin walked through the door. Don't know Laura? You should. She's one of the most accomplished and well respected reporters in the sports industry. She stands as an example of everything a strong woman working in the world of gridiron and testosterone should be. Of course I knew who she was - we talked Falcons and college ball, I sold her a pair of jeans and she left. Imagine my surprise when she came back into the store. We talked sports again, no doubt I began to irritate her, and she left. Finally, by the third time Laura came in, I shared with her that I was a pro cheerleader in the NFL. We talked a bit longer and said our goodbyes. That Sunday, she happened to be assigned to the sidelines right by me. Thus began a mentorship and friendship I would have never seen coming.

I had to tell this story to explain where I'm at. I stayed in touch with Laura. In early June, I reached a point where emotionally, mentally, and physically I had reached the bottom out point. Contacting Laura was like throwing out a proverbial life preserver. I sent it out with a hope and a prayer. A few days later I was on the phone with her, having a conversation I would have never expected. Laura had gone from someone I respected and admired to someone who wanted to mentor me. Talk about finding the light when you needed it most. Laura had seen my life preserver, grabbed it, and gave me floaties. In every sense of the word, she is my lifesaver.

I spent time with Laura, her best friend and executive producer at FOX Sports, Celeste, and a few other young women at various ages and points in their lives and careers over the weekend. I could have never anticipated the effect that this would have on me. Not only do I have a new lease on life, a completely and total renewed sense of self, and a fire lit inside of me that cannot be extinguished. I realize how cheesy that must all sound but it is so 100% true.

Without going into the nitty-gritty (and emotional) details, I feel so motivated, driven, and compelled to make sports reporting, writing, and broadcasting a career. I genuinely feel such a passion for this that it gives me butterflies. I love everything about it and I am excited to fight for success no matter what curveballs get thrown at me. I'll leave it at that, but I am so thankful and so very blessed to have people (like you!) reading my blog and supporting and cheering me on to achieve these dreams.

As a part of this adventure, I had the opportunity to spend time with Charles Davis and interview him on camera about his life in broadcasting, how he got to where he is, and his incredible barrier breaking achievements. Charles is the kind of guy you just relate to - if you don't feel connected to him then there is something wrong with you. He's personable and charismatic, and best of all, patient. I loved hearing about his path from college football standout at the University of Tennessee to broadcasting all-star. He has had his fair share of bumps in the road, struggles, and as he says, plateaus. He broke barriers as the first African-American PGA Tour Director, as well as the first to call a BCS National Championship game. Another challenge he overcame? Not having NFL experience...yet he is one of the top NFL analysts and broadcasters in the industry. How 'bout that, eh? When I sat down with him, I asked him about the surprising turns his career has taken and learned just how important his network really has been in his success. I took away a greater understanding of him as a person, an athlete, and a broadcaster. Impressive, to say the least.

I feel inspired. I can take on the world. I can do this. And I am so thankful for YOUR support as I do it. It's scary to chase a dream - as Celeste said yesterday, it is so much easier to rely on the easy times, but when you're really challenged is when you're in times of difficulty. Sometimes, you just have to leap, even without knowing where that net is. So off I go, jumping and praying for that net to appear, but deep down, I know it will. I'm so lucky to have amazing women in my life like Laura and Celeste who I know will fight tooth and nail to help see me succeed...what a rarity. They truly are more than just mentors - they're friends.

Off I go to pursue this dream with everything I have, and I've never been more ready.

Until next time...
S.

1 comment: