Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tebow Named Starting QB in Denver

Well, shock me not, Denver Broncos. This has been coming since Kyle Orton's rough start this season. There's been consistent outcry in Denver for Tebow to step in as the starter, despite being at the 3rd spot behind Brady Quinn. Last Sunday against the Chargers, Tebow ran for a touchdown and and threw for second one after stepping in for Orton. Now, as a result, it's his time to step out as the starter to prove himself to Broncos Nation.

So what now? The team must stand behind Tebow as their starter (Quinn ran off to see his girlfriend, by the way) and work with him to win games. The Broncos currently stand at 1-4 (ouch) as they travel to Miami to take on an 0-5 Dophins team...ironically during a game that will honor the 2009 Florida Gator team that won the national title. Based on his performance at the game, he deserves the chance to start and lead this broken down team to hopefully salvage the season.

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
I've never been a huge Tebow supporter, even as a Broncos fan, but I'm willing to see what he's got, just for the sake of seeing it. Honestly, at this point, anything is better than the status quo. So let's see what he's got. I hope that the team is doing this because they feel like he's the best option and really believe in him. Is it just me, or does it kind of seem like he is just a castoff from the McDaniels era? I can't believe I'm saying this right now, but let's give him a chance. Here's the issue I do have with the new starter - he's inconsistent and his throwing motion is questionable. I feel he's a moving target for defenses with a strong pass rush, and his inconsistencies make me very nervous. Let's see what happens in the next few games before we judge head coach John Fox one way or another.

My closing thoughts? Don't blow it, because there's been enough heartbreak in Denver. I surely hope he doesn't give anyone a reason to dislike him more (he's got PLENTY of supporters) and prove to John Elway and John Fox that they should keep him.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think Fox ever said who was #2. I know at one point they were listed as co-backups on the depth chart. Anyway, I wonder if Tebow's mobility had something to do with it. I don't think San Diego really pressured Orton that much, but if they did, then Tebow's ability to avoid the rush may have given him an edge over Quinn. Plus, Denver Mayor Hancock probably told Fox to put in Tebow rather than Quinn to avoid a massive riot.

    I've never been a Tebow supporter or hater. I believe Orton has been unfairly criticized for a lot of things outside his control, but like you, I want to see what Tebow can do. Denver needs to figure out whether or not he can be the guy in order to determine if they need to draft a quarterback next spring. If he's up to the challenge, great! If not, then we'll at least know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, Quinn was listed as #2 on the depth chart at the start of the season. It was pretty well documented that he threw better than Tebow in the (short period of) training camp. It's a tough situation, though, and I think Tebow probably always deserved the backup slot. You're probably right about avoiding a riot...putting up billboards in favor of a QB? That's so Denver.

    Agreed completely about Orton being unfairly criticized. He may not be a flashy QB, but he is consistent. I think the Donkeys have been put in a position where they have no choice but to either let Tebow prove himself or fall so hard that they ship him out. Time will tell!

    PS thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! I enjoyed reading your blog and am looking forward to more.

    I must've missed hearing about Quinn being #2. I don't pay close day-to-day attention during preseason, and all the Tebow coverage has been a bit much. I do remember that Quinn was the #2 guy for most of training camp and had played really well until the last preseason game against Arizona. There were some articles in The Denver Post wondering who was #2 at the time because Fox was being coy, but that's all I remember. Speaking of the billboards, I guess they now say something like, "See what we told you?" or something like that. I was at the game with some friends, and we were joking that they should have put Tebow in at WR just to mess with everybody.

    Orton's not an elite quarterback, but he's solid. I don't think he can carry a team on his back like say Elway or Peyton Manning, but if you surround him with good pieces, he can be very good and win you a lot of games. Give him time to throw and a good running game, and he can be quite successful. Unfortunately, the Broncos just aren't a good enough team and asked Orton to do too much. Plus, people focused their anger on him for not being Jay Cutler or Tim Tebow. It was a no-win situation for Orton, unfortunately.

    One thing just occurred to me: Brady Quinn hasn't fully proven himself, either, but he does at least have some experience. He's not a complete unknown like Tebow is. Say if Tebow flops, then Denver can always go to Brady Quinn, but they need to find out if Tebow is up to the job.

    Anyway, keep up the good work! I hope the Falcons can turn things around.

    ReplyDelete