Saturday, November 5, 2011

LSU vs. Bama...I'm Still Waiting

Image Courtesy SportsNola.com
Ok. I feel like I need to write something. This "pre national championship" game has been mediocre at best thus far. I love that these two teams are major rivals and both fan bases are incredibly intense and passionate...but come on this is silly.

It's currently the 3rd quarter and this is what I've gathered: both teams have fantastic defenses, both teams have overrated offenses, neither team is playing quite right, and I've heard the guys in the booth mention Julio Jones one too many times (FYI: he's playing for the Falcons now...they obviously missed the memo). So...can we get something big going in the next quarter and a half? I know both these teams have it in them, and I get the argument that they're so evenly matched that of course this is a low scoring game. To that I say "duh." But, 6-3? Seriously? Sigh.

Stay tuned...full post-game recap to come tomorrow...hopefully with a few more points and a lot more excitement.

...til next time.
S.

**UPDATE** LSU just had a huge interception by cornerback Morris Claiborne. Glad they decided to inject some excitement into this game (finally). It was then lost on me when they couldn't convert and had to settle for another field goal...it's now 6-6...and I'm bored again.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the announcers crush on Julio Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both coaches look terrified about screwing up and conservatived it up. Especially after that Maze interception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand any of this, except the fact that you're both smarter and far more chill than I am. Men must LOVE you. LOVE.

    I'm so excited to continue following and up my "chill girl" factor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher - Agreed. It was a good game if you like traditional ball, it was boring if you're into high powered modern offense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen -
    SO happy to have you following everything, and so glad we can read each other's stuff...believe me we can help each other out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't watch the game, nor did I have any intention of doing so. One, I'm not an SEC fan. I believe it's the most overrated conference in football. Let me clarify, that doesn't mean I think it's bad. It is a great conference. I just don't feel it's head-and-shoulders above everyone else like many people seem to think. Two, I often believe that this huge, mega-hyped games often turn out to be duds. I'm with you: 9-6 is boring football.

    I'm not saying I'm a fan of 66-63 shootouts, either. Balance is the key. Yes, they have great defenses, but the offenses simply were not that good. Even Kent State scored a touchdown on the Crimson Tide. The defensive apologists are quick to point out that both offenses were averaging like 40 ppg coming into this game, but who did they play? Penn State has a fairly stout defense, but that's about it. Teams like Oregon and Arkansas aren't known for their defensive prowess. It's misleading to say that LSU and Alabama featured top-notch offenses that were stifled by outstanding defenses. The offenses aren't that complicated or special. They get by because they have better athletes than most of the teams they face. Where were the adjustments? How come such top-flight schools are lacking elite quarterbacks?

    They are both great teams, but I have a hard time believing that Stanford, Oklahoma State, or Boise State would not have performed better.

    ReplyDelete