Monday, November 14, 2011

Penn State's Tragedy and Scandal

Andy Colwell/The Patriot-News/AP
I've waited a while to address the situation at Penn State because it's been so difficult for me to face. I have a hard time not being emotional when it comes to abused of children by someone they trusted. A week ago, my friend Amy sent me the full list of all of the charges and the grand jury indictment against Jerry Sandusky. I was speechless. I cried. I felt disgusted and nauseated. I felt horrified. Most of all, though, I felt so angry for these poor, innocent children who had their trust violated by someone in a position of influence and their innocence stolen. There are just no words.

It's unreal to me that no action was taken, despite having multiple reports.  How was this never taken to the police? It's truly unbelievable. There were so many people who knew, who were witnesses, who tried to alert the right people...but it never was addressed the way it should have been. Frankly, everyone is to blame here. This is evil in its purest form. Joe Paterno's legacy is in ashes, and he's falling into history as someone who maybe wasn't the hero we all thought he was (his name was removed from the Big Ten Championship trophy today). The fallout of all of this is so much greater than anyone can understand.

There's no reason for me to go into the details - this scandal has been everywhere, splashed all over every newspaper and news outlet in the country. I pray that the victims of Sandusky's sick abuse can one day recover and that they learn to trust again. I hope that the receive justice and that Sandusky sees his day in court and that he knows how sick he is.

Today, Sandusky proclaimed that he was "innocent." That he was not at fault for the crimes and sick acts he has committed. He said to Bob Costas in an interview that he is "...innocent of those charges... I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact."

I don't even know what to say. He's innocent?! He's in denial. He's a sick, sick man. I feel for those who are innocent in this situation - the kids, of course - but the Penn State campus, the players on the team now, and those that have to deal with the negativity and impact of this horrific situation.

This points out a bigger issue of abuse and disgusting behavior of those in positions of power and trust. This is beyond Sandusky, it's beyond Paterno. It's something that (should) and will sit on the shoulders of all those involved for not taking swift action to end this behavior. Justice will come, I believe it.

For more information on the latest with the Penn State/Sandusky scandal, read this.

If you want to help bring awareness and donate to end sex abuse, please visit http://www.rainn.org/.

2 comments:

  1. In what world is showering with a young boy when you are a 67-year-old man okay? Never mind the horsing around, how is that okay? That's a red flag right there, and the "horsing around" is just the final nail in the coffin. In no way is that acceptable. There's no way to spin that statement to make it even close to being okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed to both. There is no winner in this situation.

    ReplyDelete