Friday, November 25, 2011

Suh's Bad Behavior

Andrew Weber/US Presswire
Part of me wants to make a snarky, "well it's because he went to Nebraska" comment, but I'll reserve bias because it really doesn't have anything to do with it (maybe).

Yesterday, as I was watching the Packers vs. Lions game, all I could see was a whole lot of nothing the first half, and then a whole lot of self destruction by way of penalties and bad decisions the second half for the Lions. This post, however, has nothing to do with the Lions late-season self destruction or thinning secondary due to injury. This is all about Ndamukong Suh.

Suh was ejected from the game after he pounded the head of Packers' offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith, followed by a giant stomp on him.

Hold up. 

I'm sorry, in what world is that okay behavior? Grow up, Suh. He said later about his behavior, "I want to apologize to my teammates, my coaches and true fans for allowing the refs to have an opportunity to take me out of this game." Right...okay. He continued, "What I did was remove myself from the situation the best way I felt, with me being held down." I'm sorry, is it just me or is this just a giant "I'm the victim" play by Suh? He has lost his mind if he thinks anyone thought this wasn't intentional. To me, the worst part of this is he genuinely feels like he didn't do anything wrong. I hate to say it, but all of America would have to disagree here.  As ESPN.com blogger Kevin Seifert said, "...if Suh didn't intend to do what he did Thursday, he needs to be examined for involuntary leg and arm movement." While I got a small laugh out of this, it's incredibly true. There's no room for any sort of doubt in this situation. Suh has established himself as a dirty player. Once you go there, there's no going back.

Let's do a reality check here, real quick. Obviously things happen. Football isn't exactly a delicate sport, but there really is no place for behavior or actions like Suh's. Period. End of story. This situation makes me disappointed for a number of reasons. I liked Suh (despite that whole he-went-to-Nebraska thing) and actually found him rather interesting and well-spoken. Above all else, though, he was a bad-ass player with so much talent he almost didn't know what to do with it. Impressive. He single-handedly changed the Detroit Lions' defense and their team as a whole. Now, he's changing it for different reasons. Suh has been fined many, many times - last year for hits on Jay Cutler and Jake Delhomme, this year for a nasty hit on Andy Dalton in the preseason.

Let's talk numbers, now. Suh has now received three personal foul penalties this season alone, making his total number seven since his rookie season last year. He's now tied (ironically) with his teammate, Cliff Avril for the most personal foul penalties in the league since last year. Suh can say backwards, forwards, upside-down and sideways that he was justified in what he did and that there was reason for it...fine, let him. He's wrong. Obviously Suh doesn't care about his public perception and has a total lack of respect for the rules of the game, his coaches, teammates, fellow players and the NFL as a whole. Unbelievable.

My opinion? Suspend him for the rest of the season. It's time for Roger Goodell to make a point, and Lions coach Jim Schwartz needs to step in and back him up. There is no room in this game for actions like Suh's. His talent is undeniable, his behavior is unacceptable. Let him learn his lesson.

Until next time...
S.

1 comment:

  1. I think Suh is tied for the league lead in personal foul penalties with Cliff Avril. So it's not just Suh on this team. Of course, when you have a coach that decides to chase down the opposing coach, yelling at him, for being a little too rough with the handshake, I can see where it comes from.

    ReplyDelete