Monday, January 23, 2012

Super Bowl Redux: Pats vs. Giants Part 2 (Plus, a special apology for being MIA)

First of all, I think I should start by recognizing my lack of activity here on my blog. All I can say is, whoops. Sorry! I've been unbelievably busy trying to get my life in order. I've been heavy into some serious changes and have been dealing with some serious curveballs. I will say, though, that the curveballs came, some good, some bad, but I'm right where I need to be. I'm making some big moves on the career front and I'm doing really well. That being said, I hereby promise to stay on top of this blog more than I have been. My bad. (In the event that you do want to check out some of my other stuff in the meantime to see what I've been up to you can go to with video content, BeyondUSports, The Falcoholic and the Atlanta Falcons.)

So, let's just jump right into it, shall we? Let's talk about those two intense playoff games yesterday and, of course, Super Bowl XLVI.

Photo Credit: Al Bello/Getty Images
I think it's safe to say that yesterday in the Patriots vs. Ravens playoff match-up, most people were banking on the boys from Baltimore. It's also equally safe to say it was a hell of a game. Games like that are ones that reinforce why I love this game...it was thrilling, exciting, back-and-forth, and a game that seriously tested both teams' players, coaches and play-calling abilities. The game would've gone into over-time in a serious throw down, but Ravens' kicker Billy Cundiff blew it on what should've been an easy 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds on the clock. It looked like perhaps the hold was wrong or he went into the kick with a weird angle. Either way, the ball went wide left and that was the end of the Ravens' run to the big game. Ray Lewis spoke about the missed FG in his post-game interview, and was quick to make the point that the loss couldn't be hung on Cundiff. Fair. It is a team game, after all. I think Cundiff should maybe hire a bodyguard...at least temporarily. Joe Flacco (and his 'stache) actually had a decent game. He threw for 306 yards and 2 touchdowns. It's clear he looked like the superior QB in the match-up, actually. Pats' QB Tom Brady had a weirdly-off game, which maybe made Flacco look even better. He threw for 239 yards (decent enough) but no touchdowns. Even he admitted in the post-game presser that he wasn't at his best and that the defense really were the guys who stepped up. Right? The Patriots' defense put a stop to Ray Rice (who, by the way, is the league's rushing leader) and did a solid job of forcing turnovers, including one at the end of the game which shifted momentum right before the Cundiff's missed field goal.  Regardless, Mr. Brady is now on the same level with my personal football idol, John Elway, with 5 trips to the Super Bowl. The biggest question here is can Brady, Belichick and company face the Giants again, this time with a very different outcome? My answer is yes.

I'm going to rewind to recap the 49ers vs. Giants match-up before we cover the all-important redux of the 2008 Super Bowl between the Giants and Pats. I won't lie, folks...I was really rooting hard for the Niners (not just because one of my best friends, Jess, is a life-long fan - I've included a screen shot of part of our conversation mid-game. Yes, guys, girls do talk football on the regular.) because I really do think the team deserved to go to go all the way. John Harbaugh did a hell of a job in his first year as head coach, Frank Gore is a beast, Alex Smith proved he's not just some wannabe QB and Vernon Davis (and his man-tears) were pretty epic. I hate to admit this, but Giant's quarterback Eli Manning finally proved that, yes, he is elite. He threw for 316 yards and 2 touchdowns and had no interceptions. These stats are impressive on their own, but even more so considering how highly touted the 49ers defense has been all season. On the flip-side, the Giant's D looked solid and limited Smith to 196 yards (ouch) and was only 12/26. Gore was plugged up as well, and had no touchdowns and only 74 yards. Without totally re-capping the game in statistical babble, the Giants outplayed the 49ers, and have miraculously have found themselves back at the Super Bowl, facing the Patriots again. Good grief. What a day in football.

NFL.com
So here we are, a week away from the Super Bowl, a redux of 2008 (and unfortunately, not "HarBowl" part 2). In case you missed that game, I'll give you a recap in a nutshell. The Patriots looked awesome and poised to win. The Giants came back and played defense that made the Patriots look beatable, a feat that had yet to be accomplished at that time. Eli Manning set up a fourth-quarter drive that ended in the game winning play with the only TD catch that mattered by wide receiver Plaxico Burress. They proved that favorites and talking heads on sports stations can call the game all they want, but at the end of the day, when a team puts everything on the gridiron, that's what wins games. So, let's talk about this rematch and who has the goods this year to win it all. The Patriots are less cocky as they enter this rematch versus the last time they walked in against the Giants. The Giants, on the other hand, come in hot again but now they have the ego. As usual, this game will come down to turnovers and defense. Brady and Manning are on equal planes when it comes to elitism, so what happens on the defensive side of the ball will determine who walks away with the win. I think New York's pass rush is better, but I think the Patriots have a better offensive line and the Brady-to-the-Hernandez/Gronkowski duo is dangerous. It seems obvious to me that this game will be close, but I'm going to give the edge to the Patriots...it's hard to disagree with Brady (and his Justin Bieber hair) and Belichick. Just a few more days until we find out.

...Til next time.
S.

2 comments:

  1. No need for apologies, because you are a solid writer, I hope all is well with you. You truly are solid in your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! So glad you continue to read my writing!

    ReplyDelete